One of the economical options for cladding a ventilated facade (about the device of the facade, read the article “Wall insulation – ventilated facade” ) is cladding the facade with vinyl siding.
Vinyl siding is panels molded from polyvinyl chloride with a thickness of 1.1 to 1.5 mm , imitating board cladding, ship beam, log (block house). The shape and thickness of the panels differ slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. The length of the panels is most often 3.5-3.8 m , the width is 20-25 cm.
The panels on one edge have a number of holes for fastening and a locking protrusion that ensures their connection to each other. From the opposite edge, they are bent inward, and this fold is the counterpart of the lock. For overlapping installation, the locking part of the upper panel engages with the protrusion on the lower one.
The panels are fixed to the base lathing with nails or screws.
In addition to panels, facade cladding will require accessories (parts) to mate siding panels in different planes – in corners, around window and door openings, on the ceiling, eaves, gables, etc.
Varieties of vinyl siding
The profile or fracture of the siding can be single – “herringbone” (traditional for the USA form of finishing board) or double – “ship board” (traditional for European countries). The shape of the board is not reflected in the siding markings. The outer surface of the siding can be either smooth or textured, for example, like wood.
Vinyl siding is horizontal or vertical (soffit), respectively, the panels are mounted horizontally or vertically. Soffit is mainly used for roofing. The soffit can have perforations (holes), which allows for good ventilation of the under-roof space. When installing the soffit, the same components are used as when installing the siding.
By color, siding panels can be divided into three main groups: white, pastel and colored.
The most widespread is siding in pastel colors, which has an optimal ratio of price and quality. Siding in saturated colors is also available, which has an excellent appearance, but is superior in cost to pastel siding. The increase in cost is due to the high cost of additives used to protect against UV radiation.
Vinyl siding, after installation on the facade, forms an elastic shell that is resistant to impacts and is not sensitive to stresses arising from distortions in the structure of the house.
- Wide range of colors of panels, profiles and finishing elements;
A variety of accessories allows you to decorate the facades of buildings of any style;
- Resistant material: does not fade in the sun, does not crack in the cold, is not afraid of impacts, exposure to chemicals, does not rot, does not corrode, is resistant to fungi and insects. With proper installation, the panels are not afraid of either cold or heat.
- Durable: the service life of high-quality siding is more than half a century;
- Does not burn, but only slowly melts under the influence of open fire;
Requires almost no maintenance. Even scratches will not spoil it, since the dye is added to the forming mass and the material is dyed through;
- Environmentally friendly and non-toxic material.
- Relatively cheap. The cost of finishing a house with siding is comparable to the cost of finishing with high-quality plaster or clapboard. Works are carried out without special equipment, using hand tools;
- It allows you to insulate the house from the outside by laying a heat insulator between the slats of the sub-base.
How to choose the right siding?
The choice of siding, regardless of cost, must be quality-driven.
When choosing, you cannot focus only on the price. The rule – “the more expensive the better” does not always work when choosing a siding.
Siding price depends on the manufacturer. Overseas, Canadian or American, will always be more expensive with comparable quality. Customs and taxes are not always something to overpay for.
When choosing a siding, pay attention to the quality of the painting. Good siding has a uniform color and is dyed throughout the mass. Those. the front and back sides are the same color. If the coloring is uneven (the front side and the back are of different shades, this means that only the front side surface has primary raw materials, and the back layer is recycled), it is better to refuse to purchase.
Such siding is most likely made from recyclable materials, scraps and waste. In the West and in Europe, the sale of siding made from recyclable materials is prohibited, since it emits harmful substances when heated. A heating may not necessarily happen in a fire, on the sunny side wall temperature can be high as 40-50 ° C .
Canadian (Mitten), American (Variform, American Siding) and European (Docke, Vox, Sayga) siding, which are guaranteed to comply with all standards and only from primary raw materials.
Russian manufacturers (Alta-Profil, FineBer, NordSide), working with Western technologies, also use primary raw materials to compete with Western brands.
The mechanical strength of the cladding, wall decoration with vinyl siding to a very large extent depends not only on the quality of the panels, but also on the correct installation and dimensional stability of the lathing. The highest quality siding will crack if installed incorrectly, and the cheapest and ugliest siding can last 50 years, even and whole. Only ugly and unevenly colored.
When buying a siding, you need to buy installation accessories from the same manufacturer. When buying, it is most correct to consult with your foreman or seller, to make sure that there are enough installation accessories in the warehouse so that, if necessary, you could buy the missing one. The situation “dropped – came – thrown out” is always possible, even, unfortunately, it always happens. When installing siding, approximately 10% of the material goes to waste (trimming).
Vinyl siding is usually installed on a batten. You can read about wall insulation with a wooden lathing for siding in the article “Wall insulation with a ventilated facade” .
Another option for lathing for vinyl siding using wooden bars 40-50×50 mm or galvanized steel profiles for gypsum board is shown in Fig. 4. A wall with such a crate can be insulated with mineral wool slabs no more than 60 mm thick. in one layer.
The distance between the vertical posts of the lathing should be no more than 400 mm. The rack is fastened to the wall after 600-800 mm , no more.
Siding installation rules
The rules for installing siding are not at all complicated, but it is better, if there is no experience, to entrust the installation to professionals. Well, or at least adhere to a few simple rules:
- Provide free movement of panels during thermal expansion-contraction. Do not tighten the screws all the way, leave a gap of 1-1.5 mm between the cap and the siding panel . Self-tapping screws must be installed in the center of the panel mounting hole. The siding panel fixed to the batten should slide freely in the horizontal direction.
- Leave thermal gaps. Be sure to leave a gap of 5-6 mm between the ends of the panels and the adjacent accessories . in summer, and 9-10 mm. in winter. The diameter of the holes in the siding for the passage of pipes, cables or any anchors should provide a clearance from the panel to the obstacle of 5 mm.
- Do the lathing correctly, ensuring the stability of the lathing over time.
If you decide to sheathe the facade with siding yourself, then carefully study the instructions of the siding manufacturer. Different manufacturers have differences in siding accessories.